10.14.2008
fall harvest
I recently made a trip back to Iowa to visit my parents and do a big family photo shoot (blog coming soon!) It's been awhile since I've made a trip back to the farm in the thick of harvest season. I forgot just how beautiful it can be. 




Symmetry!


I tagged along with my dad for a few rounds in the combine. I just love this shot of him watching the beans move from the combine to the wagon. "Another good crop," he smiled and said after I snapped this. 


I have to admit there was a small bit of strategic placement to get this shot. I wanted to capture the sun setting just behind the combine, so I rode out in the middle of the field with Dad and asked him to stop so I could run ahead in the bean rows and capture this amazing scene. The coolest thing is not only the clouds and sunset, but the way the bean rows are lit up from behind and our family's farm-skyline, as you could call it, in the background. 




I like to call this one "The Farmer's View" -- from inside the combine. Love that Iowa landscape!
Here is a bean plant about to meet its 'doom'....


My parents' yellow labs, Jack and Gracie, love running alongside the combine. The follow my dad EVERYWHERE! Its so cute. This was taken from inside the combine! 





Harvest season just amazes me. After meticulously planning, planting and watching over their crops all summer, the farmers get to reap the harvest and complete the process for one more year. It's all based on the grace of God -- whether or not it rains too much or freezes too early. The magic of planting a seed, watching it grow and harvesting the crop is just another amazing part in the circle of life! Sometimes we just don't take the time to sit back and think about how incredible it really is.
{sj}

Labels: